***Just a warning, some of this could be construed as a little bit graphic, so don't read if you don't like to hear about childbirth!
I've been talking about this doctor visit for weeks, so here it is. First let me say that I do really like my doctor. She is very direct and will spend as much time with you as you need. Today wasn't an interesting visit from a medical perspective... the nurse just took my weight/BP/etc., and the doc measured my belly. I did find out I have to take the glucose/gestational diabetes test next month.
I had to wait in the room nearly an hour because she was behind schedule, but when she came in she apologized and explained lots of ladies decided to have their babies that day. Can't fault her for that!
When she asked if I had questions, as she does every visit, I told her I had lots of questions about labor and delivery. Things started out great, with her telling me they do as little intervention as possible in order to ensure a healthy mom and baby. I won't have to have a continuous IV until the last stage of labor, and they can monitor the baby intermittently (meaning I won't be confined to the bed - yay!)... One of my biggest concerns is episiotomies, and this is where I was a little bit disappointed. She told me that she does them case by case, by examining the size of the baby's head as it is coming out. She told me episiotomies are pretty common presently due to women's babies being bigger than they used to be. I was most disappointed to hear her perspective that women's bodies aren't meant to deliver 8+ lb. babies without tearing. So, I think I'm just going to be a difficult patient and try my hardest to refuse one if it's proposed. (And hopefully, baby Leo won't get that big!)
All in all, this visit was much less stressful than I anticipated, and though it was a little less than ideal, I'm really looking forward to childbirth, and bringing our new baby home! Even writing this blog entry has helped me de-stress about it a little bit.
I indulged in some retail therapy at the cute maternity store on my way out. I am now the proud owner of a cute navy t-shirt that says "Oh boy!"
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
The anticipated doctor visit
Posted by Brooke Cailleteau at 6:36 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment