Baby Ticker!

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, October 13, 2008

I'm not 6 weeks pregnant.

I had my first prenatal doctor visit today. I was overwhelmed with anticipation all day! Based on my calculations, I knew I was about 6 weeks pregnant. I even refused the office's offer for an early appointment two weeks ago with the NP (Nurse Practitioner) just to confirm the pregnancy. I've had so many symptoms, I knew I was pregnant, and I thought this was completely unnecessary. I had told Leo it probably wouldn't be worthwhile for him to come along this time unless he really wanted to, since they probably wouldn't do an ultrasound and we definitely wouldn't be able to hear a heartbeat yet.

Well, I was right, and I was wrong! When the nurse first took me in, she asked a few questions, looked at a chart, then announced I was 5 weeks and 5 days pregnant. At such an early stage, I guess they don't do much but confirm the pregnancy and send you home, because she didn't weigh me, check my blood pressure, or send me for any lab work.

THEN, when the doctor came in, she did a quick physical exam (felt my tummy) and asked a few more questions. She raised her eyebrows and looked puzzled, especially after I answered the questions. Much to my surprise, she said we should take a quick trip to the Ultrasound area.

The next thing I know, I'm crying and staring at a screen showing something that looks much more like a baby than a 6 week old embryo, and a strong, furiously beating heart!! The measurement of the baby showed that I'm 8 weeks and 6 days pregnant, almost 3 weeks more than I thought! I still don't completely understand the timing, but I'm even more excited, especially knowing we get to share the news even sooner!

The doctor gave me a souvenir, a picture of our tiny, growing miracle.





2 comments:

Katie said...

AWE!!! Brooke this is SO awesome! I am SO excited for you and Leo and excited to read all about it. I have a blog too about my foot.

Leslie said...

YEAH!!! Oh, this post is making me tear up...
I'm a ninny:) I'm so excited for you two!